Microsoft has changed how they make Microsoft Office available to employees through their Home Use Program (HUP).
In the past, faculty and staff would contact Candy Lelm in ITS, who would give them an Office disc after they signed a license form. This is no longer the method Microsoft is using to continue their program. (Please note that Microsoft has implemented this change - this is not a change instituted by ITS or Carleton.)
Now, the interaction is completely online between the employee and Microsoft, and Office is immediately available for download and installation after paying a small fee. Faculty and staff deal only with Microsoft in order to acquire the Office software they want for their home computer. (From now on, Carleton will no longer provide discs for Microsoft Office for home use. However, if you got a disc in the past, you may continue to use it.)
Note: We are each entitled to one copy of Office for home use. We are licensed to install it on one home computer, not two or more.
Many questions are answered in the detailed FAQ page at: http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/faq.aspx.
Which products are available?
The products available today are Office 2013 Professional Plus for Windows, or Office 2011 for Mac. (Optional language packs are available for purchase for the Windows version of Office.) Note that these versions are likely to change at any time, with no advance notice.
Who is eligible?
A Carleton faculty or staff member is eligible for one copy of Office for use on a home computer if he or she:
- is the primary user of a College-owned computer that has Office on it (in any version);
- continues to be employed by Carleton College.
The ordering process
The ordering / download / install process will work best if done from the home computer on which Office is to be installed, using a broadband connection to the Internet.
2. Select your country. This will take you to a new page, similar that the one shown below.
3. Enter your Carleton email address in the field for "Your work email"
4. In the field labeled "Program Code", you need to enter the code that has been assigned to Carleton.
Click here to get the code (you will have to log in with your Carleton email username and password).
At this point, Microsoft will validate your eligibility and, if eligible, send you an email message. There will be a link in the email message that you click to continue the process. The link is the "Buy Now >> " in green, as shown below.
5. When you click on the link in your email, you will be taken to a web page that looks like this:
6. Select the product you want to purchase. You can choose to add language packs later in the process.
7. When you have chosen your version of Office, click on the "Checkout" button. You will be taken to a new page that
looks similar to the one below:
8. On this page, you can choose Language Packs or a backup DVD. Please note that Microsoft charges for each
item you add to your cart. When you are ready, click on the "CHECKOUT" button.
9. Fill in the forms that Microsoft presents. You will need a credit card to complete your order.
10. When you have finished, Microsoft will send you an email receipt with a link, similar to the picture below:
Click on the "Download Link" indicated to download your copy of Office and other software you ordered.
11. Once you have downloaded your software, follow the instructions for installing your software. If you need assistance with
installation, please see Microsoft Office Support. On the left side of the page that appears, click on the words
"Installing, Upgrading and Activating".
12. If you have any questions along the way, please see the following URL: http://www.microsofthup.com/hupus/faq.aspx
Skip to end of metadata Go to start of metadata