On the new Canon iR-ADV CC5550 multi-function printers, it is possible to send a "secured print" job, to use Canon's term. A secure print job is held at the device until you arrive to release it, entering the PIN number you put in when you created the job. This is useful for documents that you don't want others to see, or for large documents that you don't want to hog the printer until you can arrive to babysit.
Here's how you send the job from your Windows computer:
- In your Windows application, choose to Print. Depending on the application, select a button named "Print Options" or "Preferences". Choose a Properties button only if you don't see either of the others.
- You're now seeing the Canon printer driver. On the Page Setup tab, change the Output Method to Secured Print, and click OK to clear the popup message.
- Change any other options you want, then choose the OK button to close the driver, then choose the Print button in your application.
- The first time, a popup dialog box appears titled "Confirm PIN", with the name of your document. Enter your Carleton NetID in the User Name field (if it's not already there), then enter a number of 4 to 7 digits in the PIN field. Don't forget this number; you won't be able to retrieve the document without it.
Here's how you send the job from your Mac computer;
Note: You will need to install the latest version of the Canon imageRUNNER ADVANCE C5550 PostScript driver for these features to work:
- In your application, choose the Print option.
- Choose the pull-down menu in the middle of the popup window that reads "Copies and Pages" and select Special Features
- Under Job Processing, select "Secured Print"
- Click Print
- You will be prompted to enter a document name (which you will use to identify your document at the printer), and a unique PIN that will be used to release the document at the printer.
Here's how you release and print a secure print job at the MFD (you'll need your oneCard):
- Tap your oneCard at the MFD to login, then choose Use Copier. If you use the PaperCut popup to choose among multiple accounts, choose which account (or your quota) to charge. Then you'll see your username and charging confirmed, so choose Next.
- At the Canon MFD Main Menu, choose the Secured Print button.
- You're now seeing your "My Job Status" list, so find and select your job, then choose the Secured Print button (at the bottom right of the console screen, with a lock and key icon).
- The console now prompts you to "Enter the PIN by the numeric keys", which means to use the hardware number pad on the MFD. This is the PIN number you created when you printed the job at your computer; enter it now and then choose OK.
- Your job prints, and then disappears from the Secured Print list. Choose the Main Menu button at the top left of the MFD console to return to the Main Menu, or use the physical ID button to logout (or tap your oneCard again)