This tool has been discontinued and is no longer supported by ITS.
For Windows (with Imapsync/ZGET)
If you have access to a computer with Windows 7, you can use Imapsync, a program which largely automates the transfer of email.
If you don't have Windows 7 or Imapsync otherwise doesn't work, you can use the following procedure. It's not pretty, but it's the only other option.
- (Optional) Make a new label (folder) in Gmail into which you will transfer your email.
- Export your Zimbra account.
- Once logged in to Zimbra, click the Preferences tab at the top of the window.
- Select Import / Export from the pane on the left.
- In the Export section, check the Advanced settings box and change all settings to match the image below. If you'd like to sync a specific folder, you can change the Source option.
If you'd like to sync a specific folder, you can change the Source option.
- Click Export on the bottom right to download the export tgz file.
- For Mac users, make sure to extract the files from the .tgz. For Windows there is no native support for extracting files out of the .tgz. One must use a 3rd-party extracting tool such as Winrar or 7zip to extract from the .tgz file.
- Install Thunderbird and start it up.
- If it asks if you'd like a new email address, choose Skip this and use my existing email.
- Enter a name and your Gmail email and password and click Continue.
If it found your account, you should see "Configuration found in Mozilla ISP database" and some new information below. Make sure IMAP (remote folders) is checked and click Done. Your Gmail folders should load momentarily.
- Install the ImportExportTools add-on inside Thunderbird.
- In the Thunderbird Tools menu, select Add-ons.
- Search for "ImportExportTools" in the search bar on the upper right.
- Click Install and then Restart now so the add-on can take effect.
In case searching for ImportExportTools doesn't work use these steps below
Install the ImportExportTools add-on from File
- Do a google search for "Thunderbird ImportExporttools
- Select the link which directs to https://addons.mozzila.org
- Download ImportExportTools to an easily accessible location.
- In Thunderbird goto Tools > Add-ons and beside the search bar click on the gear and select the option Install Add-on From File...
- Navigate to the location where the ImportExportTools add-on was saved and select open.
- Click Instal Now then restart Thunderbird to activate the add-on.
- In the pane on the right, select the folder into which you would like to import mail.
- In the Tools menu, click on ImportExportTools > Import all messages from a directory > just from the directory and browse the location of the export. Select a folder inside the export directory and import it. Folders will be named after the corresponding folders in Zimbra, possibly appended with an exclamation point and a number, such as "Inbox!3." Repeat this step until all email has been imported.
Note that you may be limited to transferring about 1000 messages per day, and that attempting to import more may temporarily lock your Gmail account from receiving more emails in this way.