Important: When asked for your username later in the process, please enter your full Carleton email address. This is required for your device to connect properly on Eduroam networks at other schools.
Configuring your device is a two-step process. eduroam CAT will correctly identify the installer needed for your device and provide a link to the corresponding download. Once downloaded, run the installer to to configure your device and connect to the network. Alternatively, you can scroll down to the Select OS Installers section where we have made installers for several common operating systems available as a convenience.
1) If you have not done so already, connect your device to the Carleton Guest wireless network, then click on the button below:
3) You will then be asked to select your Home Institution. "Carleton College U.S.A." should appear at the top of the list, but you may search for it in the field provided if it does not.
4) Finally, use the large blue banner to download the installer for your specific device. In most cases, the page will correctly guess the device that you are connecting from; however, you can click the 'All Platforms' link to get a list of all available platform-specific installers. (Chrome OS users, please skip to Configuring Chrome OS below)
Username: enter your full Carleton email address e.g. firstname.lastname@example.org
6) Click on the Install button. Your device will warn you about trusting a new type of certificate. This is expected and should only happen the first time you run the installer on a particular device.
7) Finally, once the installer has completed configuring your device, point your device to the eduroam wireless network and it should connect automatically.
In Case Of A Problem
As with all software, on occasion, the eduroam installer may not work correctly. Or there may not be an installer for your particular device. If so, the best option is generally to contact the ITS HelpDesk at 507-222-5999, or stop by the Helpdesk located in the CMC. ITS staff will be happy to work with you directly to configure your device for the eduroam network.
On occasion, you may need to download and install the 'root CA certificate' directly (common on Linux machines and Chromebooks). Click here for that file.
As a convenience, we have made installers for several common operating systems available below. Once downloaded, run the installer and follow the prompts. Once the installer has completed configuring your device, point your device to the eduroam wireless network and it should connect automatically.
Remember: When asked for your username, please enter your full Carleton email address e.g email@example.com
Before you can configure Chrome OS for Eduroam, you must have downloaded the configuration file (steps 1-4 above). If you have not already done this, please do so before proceeding.
To complete the confoguration process for Chrome OS, follow these steps:
Most importantly, it's more secure. Unless your device is configured to pin eduroam to a particular server and security certificate, someone could create a phony "eduroam" and use it to attack your account and computer. Some more technical information on WiFi security here.
Properly configuring the certification authortity trust will also save you from having to click OK/ignore any time that the site's certificate is renewed.
If you need to re-install Eduroam on your iPhone, for example, if you've changed your Carleton password, you will first need to remove the existing profile certificate. To do this, follow these steps: